From the time my Brother and I were small, my parents have instilled some of their AMAZING character traits in us. There are so many great things to choose from, and although humor is WAY up there, the two I value more and more as I get older are tolerance and humility.
As for tolerance, from the time we were small, we were taught we are above NO ONE- despite race, creed, gender, etc. They taught us to respect others, no matter if we agree or not. I learned from an early age we all take different paths and have different life experiences, and instead of judging- to learn about other people. They always taught us to get respect, you must give it. I believe sometimes I walk a fine line between standing up for what I believe in and giving others the room to believe what they choose. Some of my very good friends and I have completely different views on many subjects. They know I am not judgemental, but I'm also not passive, and I will speak up for my beliefs. At the end of the day we show respect to each other. I am trying very hard to teach my kids the same thing.
For humility, my parents taught us to have self-worth, to be proud of our accomplishments; but at the same time not to take ourselves too seriously. They built up our self confidence, but also taught us to not boast. They taught us to strive for the top, but to be humble if we achieved moderately. This is such a hard concept to teach, but my parents did it so effortlessly.
My parents and my brother and I have such a great bond and I pray that in years to come no strife ever comes between my children, Mark and I. I didn't fully understand what great parenting they did, until I was a parent myself. I am blessed to have such a great relationship with my parents. Thanks dearly Mom and Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment